Some of us find “I love you” a really difficult thing to say. For others, it trips off the tongue as easily as “Hello”. After all we’re always saying how much we love something (“I love those shoes” or “I love mac and cheese”) and it doesn’t take much to extend that to a person.
If your guy has told you he loves you, it can mean all kinds of things like
- I love you (exactly what it says)
- You said it to me, so I had better say it back otherwise you might cry, and I hate tears
- I don’t want you to leave me, and you might do that if I don’t say it
- I want you have sex with you
So the best way to tell if someone loves you is by what he does, not just what he says. Think about whether
- he thinks about you before he makes plans
- he’s there for you when you need support
- he’d rather spend time with you than with anyone else (even though he still has his own interests and friends that he keeps up)
- he avoids looking at other women (even if he notices them)
- he keeps his promises
- he’s kind to you, and doesn’t put you down
- he remembers your birthday, and puts some thought into what he gives you
and all the million and one other little things that mean he cares.
You see, it’s much easier to find someone who tells you they love you, than it is to find someone who actually means it, and some women fall in love with the wrong guy, simply because he says the right things.
Look at what he does, not just what he says!
This works both ways. It’s no good just saying to your guy you love him, and expecting him to believe it, you have to show him too.
What about you? Have you ever said that you love someone because you felt forced into it? Or noticed that being told you were loved was not matched with loving action? Please share in the comments below