Online dating site freedating.co.uk published this great infographic with some fun facts about the state of dating today.
A few noteworthy facts I picked out (there are more!)
- 17% of US married couples met on a dating site. I think this figure will increase over time, but remember there are lots of ways to meet guys. See Online Dating: Don’t Just Date, Mix!.
- If you meet online you get married faster – average is 2 years versus 3.5 years if you met in other ways. Perhaps those online are looking to get married and therefore are more likely to do it sooner.
- 27% of women have been dumped by text. What? The rats! (Maybe women are taking that cowardly way out too. We are not told if they are.)
- 30% of ladies are completely unsatisfied with their sex lives and only 13% of men are completely satisfied. Oh dear, I see trouble ahead. Don’t they know they can do something about that? Or don’t they care? See the How To Bring The Spark Back Into A Relationship Series
- 43% of women have said “I love you” and not meant it, but only 38% of men have said I love you to get sex. I thought there would be more guys lying about that! Come on everyone, tell the truth! See “When not to say I love You” for 12 times when you shouldn’t say it!
- At least, in general, “I love you” means something – “I care about you”, “I want you in my life”, “I want to have a committed relationship with you” or “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” Thank goodness for small mercies!
Here’s the infographic. Enjoy!
Infographic Dating in a Virtual World courtesy of Free Dating.co.uk
Over to you: Did any of those stats strike a chord with you? Please share in the comments below.
Wow things have really changed in the dating world so it seems from back in the day when I was dating! Thanks for sharing this 🙂
Miriam Slozberg recently posted…Why Pic Quotes are Important to Use in Social Media
Everything is speeding up I think! Thanks for your comment Miriam
Ana recently posted…When He Doesn’t Support Your Diet
Actually I met my second husband online and I married exactly a year to the day from the day we physically met. I actually met him through a dating site.
I really believe that the 17% will increase as we spend more and more time online.
Great infographic and great blog.
Liliana Marsden recently posted…Copywriting: Sense Of Urgency
Thanks Liliana. Good friends of mine have also found love online. Others haven’t got a good word to say about it. I think it depends on how you approach it. A positive attitude is good for dating as well as for everything else in life.
Ana recently posted…One Dating Tip We Can All Learn From
Interesting stats and infographic! My husband and I met online long before there were ever even dating sites, so we were ahead of our time. Thanks for sharing!
Laurel Regan recently posted…Remind me again, where is your voice?
Interesting Laurel. I have made good friends online over the years (who I have still never met) and I always thought it could be a good way to find romance too if I wasn’t married. Good to hear that it actually happened.
Ana recently posted…If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On
I am surprised that the amount of singles using a dating site is so low. Give it a couple of years and that number will be significantly higher, I am sure.
Nice to read comments that say online dating does and can work. I am giving it a try. Let’s see how it goes.
Thanks for sharing this infographic Ana.
Victoria Virgo recently posted…My Top Ten Wish List for The Rest of 2014
Oh it definitely does work Victoria. The important thing is not to give up when you find that the first few people you meet are not for you. One friend met her husband on her first date. Another had a lot of dates before she found hers. Thanks for sharing.
Ana recently posted…Speed Dating Tips
Nice info graphic! Interesting stats. I’m actually really surprised at the low percentage of couples meeting online. I think you’re right that it’ll be increasing in the near future.
Salma recently posted…3 Things Thursday – Week 10
Thanks Salma. I think the statistic quoted there is probably all couples including our parents who tended to meet in the more traditional way. It’s much higher if you look at recent marriages. I just looked for stats on that and found that more than one third of couples who married between 2005 and 2012 in the US met online. So it is higher and probably getting higher over the years.
Ana recently posted…Is Technology Ruining Relationships?
I met my husband online…but through a dating site. We met online in a game we were both playing. Started off as friends playing the game together to living together and then marriage and kids. And I totally agree meeting online, things can move faster. We’ve been together now for 6 years and we did the whole living together thing, got married, got pregnant and we now have an 18 month old daugther. It feels very fast for me!
Misty Spears recently posted…Hemp Products 20 Percent off at Manitoba Harvest
Thanks for sharing Misty. That’s beautiful. I think if two people who like each other meet online and both honestly want a relationship then things can move very quickly, because you are both looking to move things forward and you’ve both thought about what you’re looking for.
Ana recently posted…10 Bad Times To Talk To Your Guy